I love games. I like to play all kinds of games, on my phone, on my tablet, and on my computer. Games can fill in the gaps in your day. When you want some down time, or when you are just bored. One of my favorites (currently :)) is HomeScapes. When I started writing this, I thought it would be one short blog entry, but I quickly realized it will need to be divided into parts. This first part will cover just a couple of small tips, and the others will cover more specific subjects like tricks to maximize game play without spending money.
I really haven’t gotten into match 3 gaming much before this. I find most of them to be too easy. I know you expect the first few levels of any game to be easy. It gives you the chance to learn how to play before they start to challenge you. But some of them never move past a basic level.
Another downfall of some match 3 games is that there is not enough variety. Just level after level of match 3 play. But HomeScapes has enough variety and other distractions that it will hold my attention. They also add in game events, sometimes holiday or seasonally related. These can give you little mini-games to play and new things to achieve. Here is an example from Halloween:
Over the course of the last few months of play I have learned a few tips and tricks that should help you in your game play.
Boosters: There are a variety of boosters available to assist your game play. They basically fall into two categories: Boosters you have to select before you start to play your level, and boosters that are available for use whenever you wish.
There are 3 types of pre-level boosters:
- Rockets and Bombs – If you select this you will start the level with 2-3 rockets or bombs. Most usually one rocket and one bomb. Rockets clear a row, or a column depending on their orientation, and bombs clear a section of the board around them.
- Rainbow Balls – This piece will remove all pieces of a particular color, or multiply your other special pieces. (more on this later)
- Airplanes – Airplanes clear the pieces next to them, and then fly to another part of the board and clear another piece relating your level objective.
If you are like me, I stubbornly refuse to use these pre-level boosters unless I am really having trouble with a level. I save them up, knowing that there are harder levels to come. And this is where my first tip comes in:
- After you have tried a level multiple times, the game will suggest you use a booster. The booster the game suggests is almost always the Rainbow ball. At first I was just hitting the X to close the window and playing the level without it. But I have discovered that if you click the Use button, the game seems to give you a little advantage. Now before you say “duh”, this will happen even if you deselect the booster before starting the level. Things seem to go a little better for you whether you actually use the booster or not at that point. To try this: Push use on the Advice! screen, then click the rainbow ball on the next screen to deselect it before pressing Play. Then play the level as usual.
My second tip is an easy one. It has to do with décor. Part of the game is to furnish and fix up the mansion. You do not have to do this. I have friends who don’t. However if you don’t do it, you are missing out on some of the advantages in the game, such as additional lives. (See the second blog in this series for more information on how to maximize your game play)
For every level you beat you earn a star. Each task on your “To Do” list costs a certain amount of stars to accomplish. Many times they will ask you to make a choice of décor or plants in the garden etc. Also some of the special events will want to replace some of your original choices.
- If you find you are not satisfied with how things look, you can change it. So for example if your special event replaces the plants in your entry hall with little pyramids, and you don’t like the look of them, you can change them back. Just press and hold on the thing you want to change and an options screen will appear, allowing you all the options you have earned for that item. Choose what you like and then hit the checkmark in the bottom right of the screen.
When something goes wrong:
If something has gone wrong with your game and it isn’t playing correctly, or maybe you lost some levels, or anything else, there is a way to get help. Simply click on the little cog in the top right corner of your games home screen. That will bring up a box that looks like this:
At the bottom of this box you will see: Your ID number and (tap to copy). Tap on that and then push Help and Support. Make sure you tap to copy before opening the help screen.
While you are in settings, it is really easy to change your profile picture, your in game name, or the name of your cat. Simply click on Edit Profile. You can scroll through the list of available profile pics and choose the one you like. To change your in-game name or the name of your cat, just click in the appropriate box and enter what you like..
I will stop this first round of tips and tricks here. Part two will cover:
Tips and Tricks for Maximizing your Play time without spending money.